International Dinner – pics and feedback
Last Saturday evening we hosted eighteen guests at our International Dinner. I still think that we must have been crazy to host a dinner for so many people, but in the end, we had a blast! Thankfully we did not host for the original forty which we were thinking of hosting. So, including us, there were exactly twenty people at the dinner -fortunately nobody extra arrived, since we really did not have space for any more!
The meal that we finally settled on was:
We managed to raise a total of about R2200, which I think is not bad at all. The money is of course going to be used to assist the John Whiffen Trust, which provides funding for communication and leadership training for mentally and physically disabled people.
Lots of you (even the non-dessert eaters) asked me for the Tiramisu recipe, so here it is (courtesy of my sister, Sally). I multiplied all of the quantities by three to get enough for twenty people – however we had two boxes of biscuits left over.
Ingredients (makes enough for about 6 people)
- 1 tub mascarpone cheese
- 3 eggs (separated)
- 2 boxes finger biscuits
- small tub cream (125 ml)
- 1 cup Strong coffee (although I use normal Nescafe)
- 1 cup Brandy
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- Nesquick / flake to dust on top
- Beat cream until forming peaks, fold in mascarpone
- Beat egg yolk with sugar
- Fold egg yolk mixture into cream mixture
- Beat egg whites until stiffish and fold into mixture, set aside.
- Meanwhile dip finger biscuits first into coffee, then liquor (you need to work fast as they crumble to mush if they get too wet)
- Layer biscuits at bottom of dish, add layer of cream mixture, repeat.
- Sprinkle with Nesquick or flake
Leave in fridge overnight (or at least for a few hours) so that all the flavours can seep in together. YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY.
I would also like to say a special thanks to Woolworths In The Bag for their generous sponsorship of the food and lucky draw vouchers.
And of course – thanks to all our friends who attended (and helped with) the dinner – of course without you we would not have had such a great evening. I am sure we are going to repeat the evening sometime.
ps: Eric – can you also please explain to me how you managed to break a table leg?