Butternut, Potatoe and Citrus Soup
Tonight I was wondering what to have for supper, I was thinking of a Potatoe and Butternut soup, since we had both in the cupboard. Then when Lois suggested out of the blue that she felt like potatoe and butternut soup, we had to listen to the fates!
This is a very quick and yummy soup – perfect for those Cape Town winter evenings (thinking about it, it would probably be good served in summer chilled as well).
Preparation time is about 5 minutes, and cooking time is about 1/2 hour. It makes enough for about 4 main courses.
It can be served as a main course, or as a starter.
- 1 medium butternut
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 naartjie (easy peal)
- 1 onion
- 1 small packet of crutons
- a dash of milk
- salt, pepper, stock & Tabasco sauce
- chop the onion roughly and put into the pot
- peal the potatoes and chop roughly into the pot
- peal the butternut (use a potatoe pealer), deseed and add to the pot
- peal the naartjie and add to the pot
- add two stock cubes, a dash of Tabasco sauce, salt and loads of pepper
- add about 1 liter water (just enough to cover the veges) & and cook on fast setting for about 20 minutes
- take off heat, and let it cool a little
- bled the soup
- serve with the crutons
Hint: you can add a little milk if it’s too thick.
ps: – I know some people consider a pressure cooker to be cheating, but it is perfect when you are in a rush or are too lazy to be more traditional – so tough!