We are supposed to be at Kirstenbosch Gardens having a birthday picnic with our friend Sarah, but alas I am having an acute and sudden dose of pollen allergy, so I don’t think that an afternoon in the botanical gardens in spring is such a good idea.
However, our contribution to the picnic was going to be a baby tomatoe tart with gruyere pastry, which Lois still made for lunch.
It is really simple to make and very yummy. Here is the recipe:
- Fry 1 chopped onion and 4 cloves chopped garlic
- Mix about 800 g baby tomatos with 1/4 cup salt, 1/2 cup chopped basil, 1.5t sugar, and a little salt and pepper
- Mix in the onion/garlic mixture
- Put the tomatos mixture into a ceramic pie dish
- Cover dish with puff pastry from the supermarket
- Brush some egg over the pasty
- Finally sprinkle about 1/2 cup finely gruyere cheese over the top
- Bake at 180 for about an hour, and leave to stand for a few mintues before cutting
Serve hot or cold. Yummy indeed!