A friend of mine sent me an amazing recipe for low-carb chocolates – basically made from coconut oil and butter.
The original recipe is from Primal Perks, and here is my version. The main differences is that I dropped the sweetener, used peanut butter (yes I know peanuts contain carbs but given the amount used it will add very little to the total) and I made 1/2 the quantity for my first attempt.
By the way it only takes about 10 min to make.
- 90 g coconut oil
- 25 g nut butter (almond or macadamia) – if you are not too purist use crunchy peanut butter which is what I did
- 1.5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 60 g unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- Melt all ingredients together in a pot
- Cool mixture slightly and pour into ice-cube trays
- Put into freezer to set for a few hours
- Once set, pop them out of the mould and place in freezer bags
They are excellent and very filling. They naturally separated a little as they froze, giving that nice three-layer effect. I think they may make a great pre-race snack which I will try on my next race.
Thanks to my friend Trevor for sending the original recipe to me.