Isn’t she beautiful?
She is a brand new Cort MP710F (Lefty) acoustic guitar. She has a solid spruce top, maple back and sides and rosewood fretboard.The electronics is very good-Fishman classic4 pickup, with build in tuner.
The sound is unbelievable – very full and clear. I am really looking forward to playing it at our gig tomorrow evening.
I haven’t named her yet, but in time once I get to know her, I will name her.
View from the head
I have just got back from renewing my drivers license at the Hillstar Traffic Department in Cape Town. With visions of long queues, tedious forms, and a complicated and slow eNaTS computer system, I was dreading the experience. Well, to my utter surprise, it was nothing like that. It was a fast and painless experience.
In theory, my new license will be ready in 6-8 weeks.
So, here is the process.
What do you need to bring?
- 2x passport photos (preferably black and white, but colour seems to be fine)
R100 feeR140 (as at July 2011)
- a black pen (they don’t have any there)
- Your old drivers license and your ID book
- book / magazine / ipod etc
What is the best time to renew?
I can only get there on a Friday, so all the details below relate to a Friday experience. I originally arrived at about 12:00pm, and they were very busy, it clearly was not going to get less busy in the afternoon, so I left. Yes I admit that lunch time is probably not the best time to renew.
Next time, I arrived at about 8:30am, and they were not very busy. In total, it took me about an hour from start to finish, which was not too bad. However, when I left at 9:30am, they were almost empty, so I think that about 9:30-10am would probably be the best time.
They are open from 7:45am until 3:00pm, but they did warn that if the queue’s are too long, they will close the doors earlier, so be careful.
What is the process?
- Stand in the reception queue – they will give you whatever forms you need (the green form for drivers license renewal)
- Go to the eye test/fingerprint queue. You can fill out your form while you wait. It is quite long but moves reasonably quickly. The eye test and fingerprinting is done at the same time.
- Pay at the cashiers desk. Keep the receipt, because it extends the validity of your current drivers license by 2 months should the new license not arrive before your old one expires.
- They will send you a postcard when your new license is ready – in theory in about 6-8 weeks. Update (13 Feb 2009) After three months, I was still waiting and had not received notification. So, on the off change that it was ready I went to the collections dept. Sure enough, it was ready, and I was told that they had stopped sending out notification. So, don’t hold your breath waiting for any postcard, whatever they tell you! Oh, and there was no queue at collections.
That’s it – easy and painless.
By the way, don’t bother trying to phone them – the phone just rings.
Note: please read the comments below for feedback from people who have recently renewed their licenses.
“a seductive twist on reality…leave all inhibitions at the door and let loose as this adult-themed production takes you on a sexy thrill ride…part burlesque and part cabaret”
It was on at the New York New York hotel. I never got to see it, but it looks really interesting!
So, do you live in Reality, or Zumanity?
Update: 3 Sep 2011
I have noticed this picture referenced on a “White News” website. I would like to make it very clear, that my post was not meant to be a reference to “racial submission of whites to non-whites”, or any such thing. I neither support nor endorse such websites. I find both pro-white and pro-black websites very disturbing.
I find it sad that for so many people race is still such a large factor in their thinking. I believe that people should
not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character – Martin Luther King