Fair usage (of photos)
“Obscurity is a far greater threat to authors and creative artists than piracy.” Tim O’Reilly
I would rather be pirated and out there, than obscure and not pirated. It is almost impossible to control how and when my photos are used, so go ahead and use them. But it takes a lot of time and money to take and post the pictures, and while comments and traffic are great, they don’t pay the bills. So please pay me if you like my photos or are making money from them. Just use the Paypal button on the sidebar.
The more you donate, the more I can shoot. The more I shoot, the more photos you get to see. And of course you get to feel great by doing a good thing!
Do you want to use one of my photos?
I love to see my photos being used out there, but I put a lot of work and energy into creating the best photos I can, so please read the below guidelines before using one of my photos. All photos are protected by the Creative Commons, Attribution-Non Commercial-Share Alike license.
You are free:
- to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
- to Remix — to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
- Attribution — You must attribute the work to Craig Strachan (preferably via a link back to this site).
- Noncommercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
- Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.
Non-commercial use includes:
- Your personal blog that does not make any money
- Your desktop picture
- Your child’s art project
For commercial use
Please ask me and I will be happy to negotiate a license with you. The cost depends on:
- Size of image
- Duration of use (how long it is going to be used for)
- Media (Eg: magazine, website, billboard, TV etc)
Commercial use includes:
- Incoming generating businesses
- Not for profit incoming generating organisations (eg charities, NGO’s etc)
- News websites and portals
If you are not sure then please ask. I love to see my photos being used, and I will be happy to assist.
Please read the full details of the Creative Commons license.
7 Responses to Fair usage (of photos)